Re: Electronic locks or automatic doors?
From: Karen Carlson (kcarlson2wisc.edu)
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 17:58:25 -0700 (PDT)
Our two new, multi-unit buildings have keypad entry for the front door.  One
building has the common house area. (The other buildings are single houses, a
duplex, a triplex)   One backdoor of each building has an auto door opener. The
door swings open for these front & back doors. When we moved in, no back doors
swung open and required a key.  Some felt it inconvenient to always have a key
and we have some residents who move about by wheelchair who wanted easy access
so we added that feature.  (The two buildings are connected by an underground
tunnel, connecting two garages, with elevators to the new buildings so there
was access for wheelchairs but it wasn't always convenient.) Because lights
over these entries brought electricity to the door area, it was relatively
easier & cheaper to add keypads than if a line had to brought from a further
location.

Karen Carlson
Arboretum Cohousing Community
Madison, Wi