Re: Short-term rentals
From: Mary Vallier-Kaplan (marycvkgmail.com)
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2013 04:13:14 -0800 (PST)
Some additional thoughts as after 5 years of initial sales post recession
we are beginning to assess our experience to date with renters, etc.

Lessons learned:  Short term rentals vs long term rentals

Renters who are here with less than a 3 month intended stay in general and
even when they are great people have less of an investment in the community
so we now do a more "functional" orientation than a full investment  to
integrate them into the community.   We have learned that the landlord
needs to physically be here to help the person successfully transition into
the unit on the first day.   We do expect the landlord to orient them to
the living requirements like recycling, parking, heat, etc.  We do welcome
them to meals and to observe meetings etc. but most do not.   Most do not
highly engage in community.  Some times they join in for the fun but not
the work which can be an irritant as the rest of us work, work, work.

Renters who intend to be here greater than 3 months receive the same
integration investment as an owner and are given the same rights and
responsibilities other than annual budget decisions and a few other "owner"
exclusive rights which are very few in our community.  They are expected to
be an active member of at least one team, attend Plenary, participate in
workday, attend meals, etc.  In general this is what they want and this is
what we want.  We ask the landlord to share these expectations before unit
is rented and if there are any issues, we ask the landlord to become
involved.  To date all of these folks have invested in the same way with
work like on the farm.  They don't seem however to engage quite as much in
community development and community life such as figuring how to manage
conflict or building a new equipment barn or a more developed workshare
system.

We don't have any guidelines about when and how often you can rent or have
housemates.  We will be having a conversation this year about that now that
we have experience with renters.  Certainly those who live here full time
know they want all others to be committed in the same way to the community.
 We don't know yet if that means we want to limit rentals in any way but if
the majority of the community was absentee landlords I think personally our
community would be concerned.  So do we put in any agreements from
preventing that happening?  I'd like to hear from others.

Housemates are a different breed.  We've only had a few.  To date each one
has played a different role.  We don't have any guidelines about their
roles and responsibilities.  Any thoughts?  Long term young adult family
members has also been a question mark as to roles and responsibilities.
 Generally we leave it up to the family but than it differs from family to
family.

Mary V-K
Nubanusit Neighborhood & Farm