Re: "Neighborhood" Cohousing or "Retrofit" Cohousing
From: Four Cat House (seanainsbcglobal.net)
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2013 20:31:33 -0800 (PST)
Kathy, Ann, and all

My first thought when I started to read the original post in this was "wow, the author really should look into N Street." Then I read to the end of the post and realized it was from Kevin Wolf, one of the N-Street cofounders! He's asking what the greater cohousing community thinks about the labels "retrofit" and "neighborhood" in relation to communities like N Street.

As a cohousing enthusiast and occasional N Street visitor, I'll say that I find the term "retrofit" to be confusing. I first heard the term related to N Street and imagined some kind of mass-scale retrofitting of existing buildings. But that clearly wasn't the point at N Street. Tearing down fences and converting a property to a common house isn't exactly mass-scale, however radical it was to do those things. I'm not sure "neighborhood" captures it either, because of the point made earlier: All co-housing is "neighborhood."

So what about combining the terms: "neighborhood retrofit" cohousing.

In community,

Seanain