Re: "Neighborhood" Cohousing or "Retrofit" Cohousing
From: Kevin Wolf (kevinwolfandassociates.com)
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2013 08:36:10 -0800 (PST)
Thanks Ann and Diana for chiming in.

It seems most build choosing is a subset of the neighborhood and has a
pretty specific footprint that sometimes grows by adding neighboring houses
but most often it doesn't.  One real world experience from N Street
Cohousing is that if we had thought of ourselves as a community that could
incorporated non-contiguous houses in the neighborhood from the start, we
would have grown faster and not lost as many members who left the community
because there weren't any contiguous houses.  Having the goal be part of
the name has its benefits.

The names "Evolving Cohousing" and "Organic Cohousing" have advantages as
well and could work as well.  I don't think Infiltrated Cohousing or "In
Place Cohousing" work as they don't express as clearly the vision or the
method by which this type of cohousing differs from from "built" cohousing.

Kevin