Re: "Neighborhood" Cohousing or "Retrofit" Cohousing
From: Kathryn McCamant (kmccamantcohousingpartners.com)
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 09:31:51 -0800 (PST)
Interesting discussion.

I don't think Neighborhood Cohousing makes sense to distinguish "retrofit"
from other newly built cohousing neighborhoods. As others have mentioned,
they are all based creating a more collaborative neighborhood. I have been
trying to change my own language to say cohousing neighborhoods generally,
instead of cohousing communities... I think the term neighborhood makes it
clearer that people have individual homes, as opposed to a shared house or
cohome...

Not sure what the best term is... We are use to having to define cohousing
when we use it. I expect that just about any term we use to distinguish
retrofit cohousing will also need ongoing defining for many people. I've
been using the term retrofit cohousing for decades and find it works fine,
or at least as well as any term for a concept most people still can't
imagine.

Katie

--
Kathryn McCamant, President, Architect