Re: "Neighborhood" Cohousing or "Retrofit" Cohousing
From: Karen Scheer (karenmonkeyhouse.org)
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 09:39:51 -0800 (PST)
As someone who has now lived in both versions of neighborhoods (the intentionally built/closed version and the single family home joined by a gate in the back yard version), I am finding this conversation fascinating.

What about "Open Neighborhood" vs. "Neighborhood by Design"?

Are there any other neighborhoods who have followed the N St. Model of opening up their properties to create common spaces and easier access? I am curious as to what factors contributed to the organic development of community? What have people learned from the experiences of N Street and any other transformed neighborhoods?

Thanks for this evolving conversation.

Karen Scheer
Inspired by the concept of growing neighborhoods organically,
member of Parkview HOA (pre-dating and adjacent to Ashland Cohousing Community)
Ashland, OR