Re: "Neighborhood" Cohousing or "Retrofit" Cohousing
From: Kathryn McCamant (kmccamantcohousingpartners.com)
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 10:33:21 -0800 (PST)
What can I say..... I still like "retrofit cohousing" to describe N Street
like communities... Maybe as an architect I understand that term in a
different way...but I think it describes it as well as any term (and that
most terms when heard for the first time need to be defined for
people--something like "retrofit cohousing which remakes an existing
neighborhood to encourage greater sharing and collaboration"), and also
distinquishes it as something different than newly built cohousing
neighborhood --- but they are all cohousing neighborhoods.

Retrofit Cohousing is a great model for improving American's existing
neighborhoods... I love how they have inspired and integrated into their
larger neighborhoods, (I worked with the two Temescal Communities in
Oakland) and N Street continues to provide inspiration for new communities
looking to this model.

Katie

--
Kathryn McCamant, President, Architect