Re: Zoning patterns
From: John Beutler (jabeutlercomcast.net)
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 07:24:51 -0800 (PST)
Hopefully you have not signed a contract with the landowner. If you do, it should be conditional on obtaining the zoning you need. I have no idea what the zoning ordinance looks like, but you have to work within it or propose a new category. Most zoning has categories for offsetting clustered housing with open space, but you need a density of 2/acre. That's not a huge increase, but it is meaningful for both the zoning folks and your project.Changing the ordinance itself is a substantial challenge unless you have the powers that be on your side. Have you considered doing a whole community water & sewer system rather than well & septic? Especially in an arid area like New Mexico, it might be advantageous.

Liberty Village, my community, is in a rural unincorporated area, and we ended up being a planned unit development (PUD) instead of using the cohousing text amendment to the zoning ordinance that we were able to have passed. We are 38 units on 24 acres, though only 18 units are built so far. We have county water & sewer, and having sewer taps revoked was a substantial barrier to proceeding from 2004-2008. Once that was solved, then the real estate crisis happened....

Cheers

JAB