Re: Cohousing Helping Funds?
From: fergyb2 (fergyb2yahoo.com)
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 08:13:58 -0800 (PST)
   At Swans Market Cohousing we try very hard to make realistic predictions
about what it will cost to replace or repair our commonly owned things in the
future and make fairly substantial payments to our reserve fund every month as
part of our HOA dues so that hopefully we will never have to face large
assessments.
   However during the worst of the recent economic downturn we did establish
what we call a Spare a Dime fund (we were singing a lot of Depression era songs
at that meeting) to make temporary loans to households who face unexpected
financial difficulties so that they can pay their HOA dues in a timely manner.
Each family contributed $15 a month to the fund for about a year to get it
established.  Essentially it's a kind of insurance scheme.  The Treasurer and
President can make dispursements from the fund if they feel the need is
legitimate and it is a loan which must be repaid.  We established the fund at a
time when 10% of our households had people out of work and we were worried
about everyone being able to make their monthly HOA dues.  We no longer
contribute to the fund but have been rolling the money over every year so we
still have it available for this purpose.  Everyone is back to full employment
at this time but every year we discuss whether to put the money back into the
general fund or keep it as a Spare a Dime fund and so far we're keeping it.  It
has worked well, been used several times and been repaid. All part of our
creative attempts to support each other during hard times.
          Bonnie Fergusson
          Swans Market Cohousing
          Oakland, CA

Sent from my iPad