Re: Cohousing Pioneers: Second Round
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 07:13:07 -0800 (PST)
> "Is it feasible to develop a series of
> cohousing communities in attractive retirement destinations where
> there are not sufficient numbers of locally employed
> individuals/families to develop such communities on their own?"

The retirement destination is difficult because it means developing from a
distance. But If you put up a website, I also recommend putting up a lot of
information about the Ozarks because people don't know very much about how
beautiful it is. I was born in Oklahoma and the Ozarks was a vacation place. it
was where people went on honeymoons. A friend also settled there when she got a
huge contract to do Christmas ornaments and couldn't find enough crafts people
to make the quantity she needed. She did in Ozark Springs. So talk it up.

In the meantime it might be helpful to contact Narara Ecovillage. Lyndall
Parris has been working on this concept for years -- an Ecovillage composed of
several smaller cohousing communities. An ecovillage needs a critical mass to
be truly an ecological system (500 people?) but that is far too many for a
cohousing community. I haven't been in touch with the details lately but I
think it would be a good resource even though it is in Australia.

http://nararaecovillage.com

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines, Washington DC
"Logic will get you from A to B.  Imagination will take you everywhere." Albert
Einstein