Re: Cohousing Pioneers: Second Round
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 07:47:36 -0800 (PST)
> includes space for several
> clusters of closely placed residential units (up to 109 total); a
> greenhouse/community garden and seasonal farmers market complex; and a
> mix of private, nonprofit and public facilities/programs dedicated to
> environmental, horticultural, health-fitness, arts and educational
> purposes--see website at www.thewoodlandcommunity.com.

Sorry, I now see you did include a link to your lovely website. I was so
focuses on getting the Australian community link to you I didn't notice it.

Target price range or price ranges from Zillow or such would also be helpful.
The descriptions are wonderful but to people from either of the coasts or from
large cities, it sounds very expensive. The reality is that money matters and
people want to know if they can afford this before they get interested. It's
self protection. Put target price ranges up front.

And my personal reaction after looking at site plans for cohousing communities
is that it would be much more interesting with open space to one side or on the
perimeter than in the middle. That is how conventional communities are arranged
to give the feeling of privacy. The point of cohousing architecture is that it
is designed to foster and facilitate interaction and familiarity. There are
many cohousing communities that have lots of woodland so they can give you
ideas on how to manage this -- what works and what doesn't.

If you envisioned 3 or 4 community clusters with open space between the
clusters, people could have the often strived for ideal of the front part of
the unit looking out on the community and the back looking out on a private
area. It seems like you have plenty of room to do this.

Right now, it looks like a fabulous idea, but doesn't feel like cohousing.
Participating in the conversation here would provide more information both on
ideas for developing a community and what people would be attracted to in that
community.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines