Re: Cohousing Pioneers: Second Round
From: Bob Morrison (rhmorrisonaol.com)
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2013 05:12:14 -0800 (PST)
  This idea has an important point, one that I have rarely seen in ideas for
founding new cohos. That is that retirees are a valuable resource for this.
Gary cited two reasons for this: They have cumulative life skills that they can
use to help make it happen, and they can move to a region that doesn't have a
lot of good jobs. I would add another: time. Here at Mosaic Commons, many
residents work over 45 hours a week, or over 50 if you include commuting time.
But retirees have time, some of which they can use to pursue something like
this.
  Re Sharon's concern about people developing a coho from a distance: I
interpreted Gary's post to mean that retired cohousers (and others) would sell
their home, move to the Ozarks, and live in rental housing for a year or two
while they found their new community.

Bob Morrison
Mosaic Commons Cohousing
Berlin, MA