Re: Cohousing Pioneers: Second Round
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2013 06:17:50 -0800 (PST)
The retired have skills, time, and flexibility -- and they also have money.
That is, in many cases, they have accumulated savings and home equity, and can
afford to invest in a new community.  So they are in a stronger financial
position than a starting-out family.  At Cornerstone in Cambridge, MA, we try
very hard to maintain age diversity, but given local housing prices, not many
young families can afford to buy in.

But there is a downside to watch out for:  Aging in place, and a rising average
age.  I am a 69-year-old architect (still working full time, thanks for asking)
having specialized in eldercare:  retirement housing, assisted living, nursing
homes, Alzheimer's Suites, and the like.  From this experience, I can fairly
characterize the social dynamics of accommodations for elderly groups.

When you first open the doors of the elder-focused community, it is of great
interest to the able and independent elderly, which we call the Go-gos.  They
bring energy, enthusiasm, optimism about new friends and experiences, and a
sense of adventure -- much akin, in fact, to a young person's arrival at
college.

But time marches on, and energy and capability inevitably decline.  The Go-gos
morph into the Slow-gos, and finally the No-gos.  After a while, the community
center of gravity has moved to septuagenarians and octogenarians, and you have
a lot of people hoping for help to get to their doctor appointment, but unable
to offer much help to each other.  When a unit opens up, it may be visited by a
Go-go couple shopping for housing, but they look around and say, Hey, these
people are too damn old!  Now your community is in upward age spiral that is
very hard to reverse.

Even though much of my career has been devoted to elderly housing, I have come
to be dead set against age-segregated communities, and personally will shun
them as long as I can.

Philip Dowds