Re: Icy parking lots and walk and driveways
From: Fred-List manager (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 05:12:43 -0800 (PST)
Anne <aynabet3 [at] gmail.com>
after deleting digest and restoring subject line.
Re: icy parking lots

We try to clear snow ASAP to prevent ice development.   This year we
are trying out coarse sand (fine sand isn't satisfactory).  Cat litter
can be useful but is more expensive.

We do not use salt because it is hard on plants and we don't want to
increase salinity in the ground and ground water.

In western Washington we don't have much freezing weather. But after
slipping and getting a concussion a few years ago, I keep my trusty
Yak Traks handy.

Anne from Winslow Cohousing