Coho/US and Cohousing-L mailngs [was:Please add me ...
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 10:29:22 -0800 (PST)
Hi Catya,

On 14 Jan 2014 Catya Belfer wrote on Cohousing-L refering to
Cohousing-L :

>I'm happy to give it more visibility on the new website :)   It's tricky
>because we also want people to sign up for cohousing now and other
>mailings, and it's confusing if there's more than one thing to sign up for.
> Maybe we can figure out a technical integration so that people who sign up
>for coho/us mailings can also check a box to be added to cohousing-l or
>something.
>
>Catya Belfer   -  www.catya.org
>Technical Director   -   www.cohousing.org
>Cohousing in MA - www.mosaic-commons.org

While an integrated subscription page might be nice, a simpler approach
would be some mutual cross references

The Cohousing-L Info Page
( http://lists.cohousing.org/mailman/listinfo/cohousing-l )
has long had a note like the one below (tho today as part of a long overdue
rework of the Info Page I finally changed references to "magazine" to "sends
email...")

 Subscribing to Cohousing-L

 Note that the Coho/US sends email seperately from Cohousing-L
 ( as of 2014, 3 types: Newsletter , mailings from Communities ,
 from Cohousing Professionals). Use totally separate subscription
 page: [link:] Coho/US Mailings ( http://www.cohousing.org/subscribe )

I note that the the Coho/US Mailings page has a green box that says:

 CohoUS encourages you to add your name to our database of people
 interested in Cohousing.  Check the boxes below and we'll connect you
 with forming groups, cohousing professionals and the latest
 developments in the Cohousing movement. You may unsubscribe at any
 time and your information will never be used other than to send you
 the type of information you request below.

I suggest adding a note / link something like:

Note that the Cohousing-L discussion mailing list about all aspects of
cohousing uses a completely seperate subscription, see Cohousing-L Info Page
( http://lists.cohousing.org/mailman/listinfo/cohousing-l )

Also / alternately there could be something brief line parallel the 3 kinds
of Coho/US mailings check boxes like:

* Cohousing-L discussion (see [link] )

A brief link on the Coho/US contact page to the Cohousing-L Info Page
would be helpful.

BTW the page https://www.cohousing.org/cohousing-list which has been around
quite a while could use a rewrite.  In particular I think the warnings
that posting to Cohousing-L are not vetted is repeative, maybe over the top,
paranoid or self serving.

--S a couple other subscription notes --

I corresponded off list with Martie who the original "Please add
me to the list" message was about and hopefully resolved her problem.
Feel free to write me if you have a Cohousing-L problem.  The bottom
of every message has a link that will get you to me via Info pages etc..
Any decent mailing list should have similar list help info at the end
of each message it sends.

I added an FAQ entry about recent Gmail problems that complicate
subscribing to Cohousing-L (dont know about if it affects Coho/US
subscribing) :  http://justcomm.org/jc-faq.htm#Q17

Fred