Re: Outside Activities List
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 12:48:02 -0800 (PST)
On Jan 21, 2014, at 10:17 AM, Richart Keller <richart.keller [at] gmail.com>
wrote:

> Is there any charge for such memberships?
>
>> We have a type of membership (Area Villagers) for people not living in the
>> community. Several of those members are also immediate neighbors. In
>> addition, some of our immediate neighbors are also friends of our members
>> and so often come to events like weekly dinners, talent shows, annual
>> FireWise Day. There’s nothing more formal at this time,

We only have memberships fo people who live here -- full members for owners and
associate memberships for those who live here but are not owners. That
membership allows them use of the commonhouse and commits them to workshare
thought isn't monitored.

When we moved in we met with our lawyer in a group session to ask a lot of
questions. We asked about associate memberships for people living in the
neighborhood. Some were specifically interested in people who had wanted to
move in but weren't able to for one reason or another. Plus there was a strong
feeling of not wanting to be insular or to deprive others of our wonderful
commonhouse. (Privilege guilt.) They would pay a small fee,"

Our lawyer said, "Then what kind of organization would you be legally? You
would be a club, not a condominium. It would change your insurance status. Let
me think about it. You have a lot to think about before we do that."

And we did have a lot to think about -- like running a $7.5M residential
facility with a sprinkler system, elevator, sump pumps, etc.The whole community
was so much to mange that the subject of non-resident members hasn't surfaced
again. People bring guests and family members visit often so we get to know
them as members of the community. With 89 residents and family and friends, we
have a crowd just by ourselves.

The CH is used by community groups for meetings, by association in which our
members are members, for member;s office retreats, etc. But we have a lot of
things going on with community activities.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC