Re: Financial reponsiblity for water leaks
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 08:42:33 -0800 (PST)
Hi David and all --

Boy -- this is one of those not easy things.  Mostly it depends on what your
by-laws say.

I had a leak under my kitchen sink.  Some days later we found out that water
leaked down to the CH DR ceiling that is underneath my home.  I filed an
insurance claim to pay for the damage to the CH.  The insurance company
declined to pay because:

1.  I shut off the water immediately
2.  Called a plumber right away to respond to the problem in my house even tho'
it was after midnight thereby fulfilling my responsibilities as a homeowner for
the event.
3.  In our by-laws the interior walls and the CH DR were common property are
the responsibility of the community not the responsibility of the homeowner.

I filed twice and twice the insurance company refused to pay citing the by-laws.

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC