Re: Financial reponsiblity for water leaks
From: Kathryn McCamant (kmccamantcohousingpartners.com)
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 09:51:03 -0800 (PST)
Yes, the insurance companies are the experts at sorting out these
responsibilities, or at least very good at finding reasons that someone
else is responsible for paying the claim....

But when you don't have a claim to file that gets sorted out by the
insurance companies, we have found there are often questions of
interpretation of what the HOA CC&R's say or how it is applied to any
specific situation. For this reason, I would recommend a community (the
maintenance committee?) keep a running list of interpretations so you
strive for consistency if not absolute clarity.

With this specific situation, I would ask what the source of the water
was? Was it a private irrigation or regrading/landscaping issue? ie a
homeowner/or specific resident did something outside their home that
created the water issue (and therefore a homeowner issue), or was the
source of water something inherit in the building or original grading (and
therefore a community responsibility)?

FYI: ALL dirt, soil, and mulch should always be at least 6" below the
foundation and/or exterior siding and drain away from the foundation at a
minimum of 2% slope. We have found it very helpful to have the landscape
or maintenance committee do any annual check or the site grading because
many people are just not aware of the importance of keeping water away
from the foundations. Your general contractor should have made sure all
grading met this criteria when they finished the job.

Katie

--
Kathryn McCamant, President, Architect
CoHousing Partners, LLC