Re: Financial reponsiblity for water leaks
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 13:48:29 -0800 (PST)
On Jan 25, 2014, at 12:50 PM, Kathryn McCamant <kmccamant [at]
cohousingpartners.com> wrote:

> We have found it very helpful to have the landscape
> or maintenance committee do any annual check or the site grading because
> many people are just not aware of the importance of keeping water away
> from the foundations.

Or aware that the ground settles, particularly after new construction. We had
major dig-outs before we built to remove contaminated soil and old oil drums.
As a result the land all around had been loose, not packed down from decades.
The water in the north side back yards became a major issue.

Our consultant pointed out to us that the land had settled 3-5 inches along the
foundation. The slope of the land was then toward the building, not away. In
another area a storm drain is now higher than the land around it.

Facilities take constant vigilance.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines