Re: Guest room or cheap hotel?
From: fergyb2 (fergyb2yahoo.com)
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 21:25:18 -0800 (PST)
        I have found that guests from other Cohousing communities usually work
out fine, they are Cohousing "trained" as it were and usually not a problem.
We have sometimes in the past had guests who were neither cohousers from other
communities nor connected to community residents by friendship or relatives and
they have been more problematic.  So much so that we no longer accept non
cohousers as guests unless they are friends or relatives of residents.  And all
guests must have a resident host who is responsible for orienting them to our
rules and expectations.  I am comfortable with our current guest policies.  I
like having the guest room used and like meeting cohousers from other
communities.  I have in the past felt taken advantage of by  previous
"unconnected" guests who didn't always respect our boundaries. We considered
allowing ONLY friend's and relative's of residents to use the guest room but
many of us have stayed in the guest rooms of other Cohousing communities when
traveling and wanted to maintain that connection to other cohousers.  Since
they are not usually the guests who have caused drama or bad feelings here in
the past we decided to continue to host traveling cohousers from other
communities. So far it's working out for us.
                     Bonnie Fergusson
                     Swan's Market Cohousing
                      Oakland, CA

Sent from my iPad