Re: Community wide Wifi
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 07:05:21 -0800 (PST)
On Jan 29, 2014, at 8:03 AM, Fred-List manager <fholson [at] cohousing.org>
wrote:

> 2.  That said, we did implement community-wide WiFi 5 years ago at
> move-in.  It has been nothing but a bother.  It seemed a great idea and
> probably helped a bit with marketing.  However, our homes are so
> energy-efficient with coated windows and radiant barriers that each home is
> basically a Faraday cage.  The community WiFi really only gives decent
> signal outside.

We have the same problem and have solved it to some extent by putting WiFis
inside and using each others. We can get signals from apartment to apartment
and basement up to the floors above, but not when the signal has to go outside
and in again. I usually can't use the WiFi in the CH but can from apartments
above and below. Most of our WiFi's use a common password.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC