Subject: Re: Guest room or cheap hotel?
From: Melanie Mindlin (sassettamind.net)
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 07:44:19 -0800 (PST)
As a cohousing member who occasionally travels on a tight budget, I am very
grateful to the communities that have allowed me to use their guest room as a
"hotel".  I think there is a difference between my category of visitor and
those who are using the IC directory to couch surf under false pretenses.
There are not so many people who are actually living in cohousing that it will
put pressure on our guest rooms, and when there are lots more in the distant
future, there will also be lots more cohousing guest rooms to accommodate them.
 When a cohousing member comes to visit, there is no need to uphold a pretense
that they are investigating your community which wastes everyone's time and
energy.  There is however a delightful camaraderie of shared experiences and
shared expectations about respectful use of the premises.

I hope to be able to visit your town and stay in your guest room sometime, come
to a common meal and chat about cohousing, and help clean up afterwards.  We
have offered our common house guest room likewise, and our visitors that live
in other cohousing communities have been easy to accommodate and fun to meet.
We usually refrain from signing up these kind of visitors a long time in
advance so as to make sure that no community member needs the room for a
visiting family member which would take precedence.

Melanie Mindlin