Re: Subject: Re: Guest room or cheap hotel?
From: Madeline Nelson (madeline.nelsonverizon.net)
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 08:43:25 -0800 (PST)
I’m going to chime in here as someone who has stayed at 4 cohousing
communities, once in a guest room and 3 times in members' apartments as a house
sitter. (So, the hosting people weren't there.) In each case my partner and I
were exploring the community as well as others nearby. We participated in
community activities like helping prepare or clean up for common meals, do
garden work, sit in on meetings. We still haven’t moved from our Brooklyn
apartment, but in each case it was a wonderful experience and greatly deepened
our understanding of how cohousing works (and sometimes doesn’t), as well as
getting a great feel for the neighborhood and town.

I also think it’s legitimate for like-minded people, either from other
cohousing communities or prospective cohousers, to stay at a community for
reasons such as going to a conference or even exploring as a tourist. I think
the key is clearness all around about motivation and expectations.

Best,
Madeline