Re: Guest room or cheap hotel?
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 09:03:07 -0800 (PST)
Hi Dianna and all —

One of my favorite cohousing philosophers, Zev Paiss, Nomad Cohousing,
envisions a system of cohousing communities stretching across the continent
within a day’s travel of each other.  Much the like the Spanish El Camino in
the western US — each monastery or town a day’s walk away providing travelers
w/ easy accommodations.

At Takoma Village we get lots and lots of cohousers from all over the US,
Canada and other countries.  When I host I always try to create an opportunity
for my community to meet these visitors.  With conferences, workshops or other
opportunities to meet folks from other communities, the opportunity for cross
fertilization of ideas is precious.  How does ___ work in your community?  How
do you handle ___?  What’s it like living in _____?  How can we help each
other? etc etc etc

If we restricted visits to just folks wanting to see TVC … well we would miss a
lot of this interaction.  And we would be the poorer for it.

We created TVC to be a welcoming community of neighbors.  Why would we not do
that for our cohousing sisters and brothers?  And for those seeking community
whether ours or another community?  I consider staying in cohousing guest rooms
to be one of the benefits of building and living in cohousing.

And now for shameless politicking  … personally,  I would like to be able to
visit and stay in more communities so if you are in the concept stage or are
renovating your CH do please make your guest rooms accessible for wheelchair
users.  Consider that one day you or a family member may need an accessible
room if only because we are all growing older.

To all cohousers and seekers of community … if  you’re coming to DC do consider
staying here at TVC.  Happy to host you.

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC