Re: appraisals
From: Kathryn McCamant (kmccamantcohousingpartners.com)
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2014 14:21:14 -0800 (PST)
If it is the appraiser, or the banks underwriter that is giving extra
review to the appraisal, that is charging more that is probably justified.
Since 2009 residential appraisers are working under very strict guidelines
and relatively low fees. In most of the communities I am familiar with,
its hard to make sense of sales prices on the standard appraisal check
lists and costs per square foot pricing conventional homes are appraised
on. For example, the box they check for a "club house" is does not equate
to the 3000-4000+ square feet we have in our common houses--not unusual to
be more than 100 sf/unit . I would much rather pay a little more for a
better appraisal that justifies the price (and cohousing is more expensive
to create), than have to deal with the aftermath of a bad, low priced
appraisal.

Katie
Nevada City Cohousing
--