Appraisals/Real estate : building relationships
From: heidinys (heidinysearthlink.net)
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 06:07:41 -0800 (PST)
Hi,

Another good point, Katie.

We live in a decidedly non-urban setting--then again, we are but 100 miles from
NYC,   and that does make a difference.  We had an appraiser for a while who
had known us ( ie various of us here at Cantines Island) as a close family
friend for years.  that was great.  she went on to a different career-- but
actually we should ask her for if she has an appraiser friend for the next time
one is needed.
We have a similar person who is a Real Estate broker.  He loves the idea of
CoHousing.

It is probably wise--not that anyone can do One More Thing-- to have a
connection w folks on Real Estate before needing then.  Perhaps invite one, or
several to a potluck, or an Open House-- you get the idea.   They can fall in
love w CoHousing---or, if they do not, you know ahead to do this w a different
person.

the mortgage terrain is rough right now, and may remain so for a while.  Having
relationships in place may help folks understand what CoHousing is,  and that
cannpt hurt.

Ruth
Cantines Island
Saugerties, Ny
Where we love kids, and have one building lot available,  and one wonderful
compact house, and one larger house.

Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2014 14:47:40 -0800 From: Kathryn McCamant <kmccamant [at]
cohousingpartners.com>
Subject: Re: [C-L]_ appraisals

It is a lot easier to do a cohousing appraisal in a city where there have been
other new condominiums built. It particularly challenging in more suburban and
rural areas where there are no nice new condominiums, and anything attached was
built cheap and is consider quite inferior. We rarely had issues with
appraisals at Doyle Street Cohousing, but up here in the Sierra Foothills it
can be a real challenge, and then there was the appraiser for the Senior
Stillwater Oklahoma commmunity who really had to work hard to try to make any
sense of it, since there  was nothing like it
in the State. It really helps if you can educate your local appraisers.

Katie
Nevada City Cohousing
--
Kathryn McCamant, President, Architect CoHousing Partners, LLC 241 Commercial
Street Nevada City, CA 95959 T.530.478.1970  C.916.798.4755