Re: Counting votes
From: drmaryann49 (drmaryann49mac.com)
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 15:49:56 -0800 (PST)
Here at Manzanita Village, we have two inter-locking governance structures. We
are chartered by the state as a homeowners association (HOA). Decisions of the
HOA are voted on by homeowners with each lot having one vote. (This means, for
example, that my husband and I only have a single vote between us.)

According to our rules the only items that are taken to the HOA are 1) raising
dues, 2) doing a special assessment, 3) electing the HOA board of directors, 4)
revising the Bylaws and CC&Rs.

All other decisions are decided in Plenary. Every adult who lives on site,
homeowners, renters, and other adults are members of the Village. We also have
a small number (currently 5) of adults who live off-site who are members. We
use consensus for all Plenary decisions. Everyone who is a member can
participate in these decisions.

In several cases, for example raising dues, revising the Bylaws and CC&R, or
electing the HOA board, the members of the HOA are actually ratifying decisions
already discussed and approved at a Plenary session although in theory the
homeowners could override the Plenary. That would be difficult since the
majority of people at any Plenary session are homeowner/members.

Mary Ann
Manzanita Village
where winter temperatures have returned but we can’t complain when we see
what’s happening in other parts of the country