Re: Community wide Wifi
From: Bob Morrison (rhmorrisonaol.com)
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 05:08:26 -0800 (PST)
  I think forming groups should think twice about having a foil barrier in the
insulation in their outside walls and roof. I think it would be worth having
slightly less effective insulation in trade for being able to reliably use cell
phones inside you unit (and common house). 20 years ago this was much less of
an issue. The only radio signals you needed to send and receive inside your
home were broadcast radio. Today it's a different story.
  Here at Mosaic Commons, our cell phones work outside our units but not
inside, due to the "Faraday cage" effect. Many households here use a cell phone
as their only phone and even if they have a land line, not being able to
reliably use a cell phone inside is a major pain.

Bob Morrison
Mosaic Commons Cohousing
Berlin, MA