Re: appraisals
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 15:04:12 -0800 (PST)
On Feb 4, 2014, at 11:29 AM, Kathryn McCamant <kmccamant [at]
cohousingpartners.com> wrote:

> That's great that new condo developments in DC are including extensive
> common facilities! I am curious how many units that typically have.... How
> many share these common facilities?

A year or two after we moved in, one of our construction engineers who does
engineering and reserve studies for condos said it would take 400 units to
support the SF of our common house. In 10 years it might have changed but I
doubt if very significantly.

What we need is a database for each sale in cohousing that gives all the
standard real estate data for the unit and for the neighborhood, perhaps by SF,
financing bank, etc. That would establish some percentages that might be
useful. So even if your neighborhood doesn't have any condos, the banks might
be reassured by national trends. Particularly if they were financed by the same
bank.

One of my appraisers refused to even go into the common house because there
were no comparables.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines