Appraisals
From: heidinys (heidinysearthlink.net)
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 05:24:13 -0800 (PST)
Hi,

Katie is pointing out a real concern for all communities.

Years ago  I was told by the person handling the sale of my pre-co-housing
house  that

'Comps were developed in the fifties when there were suburban developments of
basically the same house.  These houses were comparable,  often even the same.
Since then, appraisers have basically had to wing it, because houses are not
the same.'

So, it might take some time, but it might work to bring this information to
light.  For folks interested in appraisal--now or in the future to verify this
info ( I have not)  and write some letters to editors/articles to whatever
publications you can.  It is the kind of information that can then get picked
up by, for example, the NYT or other major newspaper  Real Estate sections,
and could effect a change.
Until we do this, we may stay stuck in the same  boat.
It might be fun to see if we could effect a change.  I am full up with the pro
bono work I do
pretty much every day, in addition to actually working for income, and am not
offering to do this!

best,
Ruth
Cantines Island