Re: emergency preparedness
From: Lynn Nadeau / Maraiah (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 11:30:36 -0800 (PST)
Preparedness in the Pacific NW primarily involves readiness for earthquake,
tsunami, and prolonged/severe winter storms. What you do will depend on your
environment, and what local systems are already in place. Lots of written
material is available on the basics. Aside from the standard items for radio,
light, water filtration, etc. there are a few things I might mention, from our
experience.

Shut-offs: We have separate houses, all different. We had each household write
and diagram where to find the shutoff valves for their water, electricity, and
gas. Small groups of close neighbors toured each other's houses to actually see
those places. The paper writeups are filed in a notebook in our common house.

Community shelter? Planned or not, our common house, in a residential area, is
likely to be a place where neighbors congregate in a disaster. We want to be
ready to give them something to do. We have a stock of clipboards, paper,
markers, wind-up flashlights and maps, so we could hand someone stuff and say
"go check on 234 Woodland St and see if they are ok, then report back."

Portability: My next goal is to pack more of the materials into manageable
suitcases. Things like first aid equipment, and building repair tools. The
present big plastic tubs would be awkward to move very far.

Storage: We did not build a storage shed for emergency supplies. I wish we had.
We are presently using a tin utility shed in someone's back yard.

In-home supplies: Educate members as to what they should have at home. Water,
medications, copies of insurance policies and other documents, a "grab-and-go"
bag or backpack ready for evacuations. Consider having a preparedness bit at
each of a series of your meetings.

Skills and competencies: The book "WHEN there is no doctor", by Doyle, (not to
be confused with the book "WHERE there is no..") stresses that just having a
stash of supplies is not enough. Stay or get healthy and strong: practice
carrying things, walking. Learn about health and anatomy, first aid and CPR. It
also offers useful healthcare info.

Maraiah Lynn Nadeau
www.rosewind.org
Port Townsend WA