Re: Use of email
From: Philip Dowds (rphilipdowdsme.com)
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 15:50:16 -0800 (PST)
OK, I’ll try pitching this a different direction:

As a practicing architect, I rely heavily on a synchronized combination of
e-mail, blog-like things, wiki-like things, and on-line databases to manage
multi-million construction projects.  Divergent views and interests always have
the potential to erupt into disputes of significant time / money consequence;
PDFs with binding contractual implications fly back and forth on a daily basis.
 The construction team still needs, and relies on, regular face-to-face
meetings to do the heaviest lifting … but on the whole, the Internet exchange
works very well, and is a huge improvement over the phone-and-fax communication
technology of a mere ten or fifteen years ago.

So here’s my question:  Why is the Internet regarded as such a high-risk,
error-prone, annoying and alienating vehicle for cohousing communities?  Why
are e-mails seen as the problem, and meetings as the solution?  More generally:
 Why is our professional experience irrelevant for doing business in a
residential setting?

R Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Village Cohousing
Cambridge, MA