Re: Use of email
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 05:57:38 -0800 (PST)
Hi all!

Just an off the top of the head answer to the question below — CAPS not
shouting — just for emphasis::

Because in cohousing we LIVE w/ each other.  We EAT together.  Our CHILDREN
play w/ each other. We see each other every day.  The friction points are
endless.

In work, your clients or vendors may be all over the world.  At the end of the
day they go home. Regardless of flaring tempers you are organizing a group of
people w/ a central goal or outcome.  But that’s where the “investment” stops.

In cohousing, the “investment" is very personal.

In cohousing there’s so much sub text going on I sometimes need a program to
figure out who’s on first.

I’ve witnessed poor communication — digital or carbon-based —  tear apart
communities.  It’s just that email has so much more room for misinterpretation.
 And that’s true even for those who think they are excellent communicators on
email.  Or in person …

Solutions?  That’s what we’re all trying to work out in our respective
communities.  We don’t have THE answer … yet.  We’re working on it.  All of us.

Some things I found helpful:

Conflict resolution team or 3rd party intervention

Solid training in some form of communication — my personal favorite because
I’ve seen in work in our community is Non-violent Communication or
Compassionate Communication.  A member of this list laid out the basic
principles of NVC in an email which garnered a great deal of attention on this
list.  She did not label it as NVC but all the criteria she listed were right
from the book.

In real extreme measures … I’ve found flattening tires work wonders … :-)

Now … just to check this out:

How many of you find the above line about flattening tires amusing and how many
of you are offended?

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing