Re: Use of email
From: Malcolm Eva (malcolmm-eva.co.uk)
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 08:01:08 -0800 (PST)
Thanks to everyone who replied to my original request - it's been very
re-assuring to note that our experiences seem widely shared - by and large it
works well, sometimes it gets out of hand, at which point onlookers will call
out, "whoa, time to stop this." and everyone looks for ways to re-build any
damaged bridges.  One great thing about the email is that if two people who
fell out badly on email - in public - get together privately to sort things
out, there's a good email afterwards which tells us of the good outcome;
without that the rest of us might not have known except by rumour that things
were settled again.

While there are several of us who would rather issues that could become emotive
should be discussed in person, that's demanding a lot of a community of 70+
people, many of whom are out to work during the days.  An electronic forum is
more efficient, except that, as has been said, it doesn't show up the
non-verbal signs in a communication so is easily misinterpreted.

Th  best etiquette statement one of us came up with was, never send an email
which you yourself would be upset to receive.  Concise, empathetic, demands a
few moments' reflection before hitting "send".

Our meeting on the subject is next week; if any new ideas surface from that
I'll post them to this group.

Thanks again

Malcolm