Re: Use of email
From: Don Benson (benson6451aol.com)
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 10:09:08 -0800 (PST)
In your professional practice, your value is a function of the developed
relationships you have with many providers.  You know this and work you and the
other do to develop and maintain the FTF relationships that are the foundation
for interdependence and success, and facilitate the resolution of issues that
develop

In a cohousing community, few members, if any, have ever had the need or
opportunity to develop the relationships that you have.  In fact the internet
provides the opportunity to avoid the development of FTF relationships and all
the personal growth that we aspire to, without any immediate or potential
financial reward.

The community establishing/naming the value and devoting the energy needed to
develop positive engagement vs. conflict resolution, the socialization process
for potential new members that names these expectations, the pervasiveness of
random and ritual practice of community building activities to provide FTF time
to discover ways in which individually we can experience interdependence slowly
builds the skills (for those that truly want to learn) that a successful
practice requires.

Over time we (some) can grow to the point of walking 10 feet to talk with a
neighbor rather than send a poorly worded email.  Over time we (some) will
learn to notice when our emails have been misunderstood and reach out to
resolve the resulting emotion.  Some will provide the example for others.  And
some will not learn, will not notice, and the reality is that they are not
ready for cohousing, and yet will not leave.

Don Benson
Trillium Hollow
503.296.7249 office
510.701.9784 mobile