Re: Use of email (Jasen Robillard)
From: Jasen Robillard (jasenconnexuscohousing.com)
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 07:42:16 -0800 (PST)
Does anyone else find it ironic that this rich and fruitful discussion is
happening over an email listserv?

As a writer and introvert, it may not be surprising that I find myself
sharing similar views to Sharon and Philip. In the forming community I'm
part of (where there is even less opportunity for face-to-face
interaction), we have had numerous reminders to not have "discussions"
online via email, particularly on "potentially controversial matters". As a
result, the effectiveness of that channel of communication is now somewhat
compromised. After all, what is controversial is in the eye of the
beholder. As such, some feel that it is best not to have any conversations
via email.

Our email list is now mainly used for bulletin board type announcements.
Only some members of the community now feel comfortable bringing up issues
for discussion via email. Those of us who prefer writing and feel like
bumbling idiots when speaking, now feel relegated to not speaking, or
speaking privately 1-on-1 and then having others speak on their behalf
(which is a landmine of its own). So while no one has actually said "shut
up, I don't want to hear what you have to say", the simplified outcome is
that we only hear from those who speak in public.

*Jasen Robillard*
*Dragonfly Cohousing - Calgary*