Re: Use of email (Jasen Robillard)
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 09:04:14 -0800 (PST)
No Jasen, I’m not at all surprised that this discussion is taking place on this
list.

This is a very very respectful list.  We have over the years developed a set of
norms for posting to this list.  And people seem to follow them both ol’ timers
and newbies.  And it’s moderated.  Altho’ Fred doesn’t have much to do in this
regard because we ARE so respectful.

What I was hearing is what is the “best” medium for handling issues when they
erupt in serious conflict.  I don’t think it’s healthy to flame a neighbor or
anyone in person or on email.  The challenge is that on email there is more
chance for misunderstanding because the social cues are not available.

After reading this thread I realized I actually, don’t have ANY objection to
issues being discussed on email.  The concern I have is the ease w/ which
people morph into flaming.  It’s like striking a match.  And then people bring
that “event” into other events in the community.  Or worse … flame on email and
then be very respectful F2F.   Like nothing transpired.  Nice in person and
harsh on email.  Doesn’t work for  me.

I think Sharon hit the nail in her most recent posting:    a solid, well
thought out and USED conflict resolution process would go a long, long way to
reducing stress in our communities.

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing