Re: Use of email
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 08:40:15 -0800 (PST)
On Feb 12, 2014, at 9:58 AM, Jim Mayer <jim [at] pentastich.org> wrote:

> Anyway, people are so good at handling short feedback cycles that we're
> often not even consciously aware of them.  We're not so good at handling
> longer feedback cycles, and so those require more training and experience.

And further if the short feedback cycles occur in face-to-face contact there
will be much less of it because people won't say what they really think.

Stopping to think before hitting send is important before you hit send but to
block feedback in any form in which you are likely to receive it is not in the
best interests of the community. Feedback also has to be worked through and
some people are better at facilitating this than others.

I find that some people can't handle more than one feedback response and
clarification cycle. It exhausts them. That's one reason I think it is best to
have at least two people to respond to a proposed action -- one who is
comfortable with email and the other comfortable with face-to-face.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines, Washington DC
"Behavior is determined by the prevailing form of decision making." Gerard
Endenburg