Re: Exterior modifications
From: Mariana Almeida (missmgrrlyahoo.com)
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 10:24:26 -0800 (PST)
We are a condo, too, and we have some items that are owner's responsibility:
"windows" and "water heater located outside the unit" (but not the parts that
are located inside the unit).

I can tell you it's been a huge headache to determine who should pay for
repairs.

In practice, it is sometimes hard to determine which structure belongs with
what structure. What constitutes a "window"? I was forced to learn all sorts of
terminology about "windows" in order to make a decision about who would be
responsible for payment of replacement ones. That's because windows are not
just the glass, they are also things like sash, casing, and some other terms
I've worked hard to forget. Personally, I think the original wording on the
CC&Rs was meant to cover broken glass as being the unit owner responsibility.

All in all, I would say avoid this situation! Keep it simple today and for
always. One way to deal with the new structures and the cost they will incur
would be to add some costs for the owner. We've had a unit owner raise the
amount he or she contributes to reserves to cover eventual replacement of said
item.

Mariana Almeida
Berkeley California