Re: Exterior modifications
From: S. Kashdan (s_kashdanhotmail.com)
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 00:09:19 -0800 (PST)
I agree with what Philip and Sharon and Ann have said. And, as a matter of
fact, here at Jackson Place Cohousing, in Seattle, Washington,
decks/balconies, gardening areas near homes, and such are considered to be
limited common areas. These are areas that are not the property of the
homeowner, but belong to the condominium. We have agreed to allow each
homeowner who wants to take care of these areas to do so, and, for example
many of us plant what we want in gardening areas near our homes. But we are
expected to ask the community, the landscape team or the operations team,
etc. before making any external actual modifications.

However, I didn't go in to our way of dealing with this, or the good reasons
for doing it the way we do, because you said that the decision was already
made.

My point was, and is, that if there is any ambiguity or lack of clarity
about what is permitted or required in your condo documents, you should make
sure that you  get the help of a real estate lawyer in your state in
figuring out precisely how to accomplish what you want to do before specific
cases come up. That is true for other things too, such as how to deal with
unpaid homeowners' dues, etc.

Good luck,
Sylvie

Sylvie Kashdan