Re: condo fees
From: Jude Foster (foster.judegmail.com)
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 06:45:30 -0800 (PST)
At Trillium Hollow (in Portland Oregon) our HOA dues process has been clarified
and refined in the last few years into this system, which is working really
well for us:

The annual budget includes three levels:
Level 1 includes the legally required costs managed by the Legal/Financial team
(all utilities, insurance, legal fees, etc.)
Level 2 includes all the teams' budgets (approval of these involves full
consensus at the Budget Faire).
Level 3 are special projects which teams or members can bring forward, by
individuals, with their share of the $ left after Levels 1 and 2 are funded.
This “funny money” is divided up by adult.  This year we each got $141.  We
have funded everything from a play structure to a sauna to a garden shed to a
workshop with Level 3 in the last few years.  Not every Level 3 project or
proposal is funded.

Dues increases each year are now set to COLA, the cost-of-living increase
(unless some circumstance in the future forces us to raise dues more.)
Any Roll-over ($ left at end of year from Level 1 or Level 2)  goes toward the
following year’s Level 1, and the balance to the Community Contingency fund.
Handling Roll-over openly, approved by the HOA, is a legally-required process.

Dues are based on the square footage of the unit, an approach that was decided
in the community’s early years (before my time).
We have studios, one-bedrooms, various layouts for 2 bedrooms, 3 bedrooms, and
4 bedroom units.
Monthly dues for 2014 range from $181 for a studio to $559 for a 4-bedroom.

I hope this is helpful!
Jude