Re: divorce in cohousing
From: Doug Huston (hustonashlandcoho.com)
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 09:05:35 -0800 (PST)
Hi Jenny,

Our problems did reveal the lack of clarity in policies and expectations that
contributed to some of the conflict we experienced. Outside consultants we
engaged helped highlight this for us, including pointing out policies that
didn’t even exist. Previously, the community had some tensions with another
offsite member before. This was also mostly due to expectations, rights and
responsibilities not being explicit. That person bought an adjacent house
before we were built, because she didn’t want to wait but still wanted to
participate. So it was all just kinda abstract at that point. Much of this I’d
chalk up to inevitable lessons/growing pains that are just part of the
evolution of a community. We’re now seven years old. Although I think we
anticipated many things well and crafted appropriate policies (in part because
of the experiences of other communities - and thank yous to this list serve),
we couldn’t and didn’t choose to anticipate all scenarios.
I’ve framed some of this as a divorce situation for a rather narrow policy.
Some members view it more like Sharon (posted on 2/10 - "I think it is too
complicated to try to write a policy for any specific problem but easier to
have a conflict resolution process that can be initiated by any member of the
community for any reason.”) and see it as a conflict resolution problem.
Others have also discussed addressing it sort of how you are - as an issue of
clarity about offsite members. That discussion has included simply eliminating
that kind of membership.
And there are almost always some sentiments akin to "let’s not tell others what
to do” or “don’t tell me what to do." I keep trying to remind myself to be
unsurprised by this sentiment, but struggle with that. I didn’t think it would
be so prevalent living in community. Silly me.
Thanks for your thoughtful response.