Re: email etiquette
From: Malcolm Eva (malcolmmalcolmeva.plus.com)
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 09:42:17 -0800 (PST)
Very good point, and one which has generated its own email.  My view is that I
want to put my side of the discussion to everyone, and email is the only way to
do that in a community of 35 households.  If I can't make a meeting I don't
have a vote (sorry, I know that's the wrong term for a consensus meeting
but...) but at least I can have a say.  Others say that they don't want to deal
with email discussion, and just want the issues talked about at the meeting,
which, I maintain, disempowers me.  At the moment our protocol is to announce
all the items in advance on email so people can comment and exchange views
before the meeting. The more controversial the topic, the longer the discussion
time needed.  As many people don't come to residents' meetings for various
reasons at least they can see and assess the differing views on the topic and
join in when they want.  What this often results in are heated emails, and a
calm meeting that everyone enjoys, usually with a consensus at the end. Not
always, of course, but often.

Back to individualism v altruism - if anyone has strong reactions to e.g. Green
paint, that's valid to say eeuch!  To say "green paint is wrong and we should
not consider it" is different, and making a personal view sound like a moral
judgement.  I think that's the sort of distinction the phrase is getting at.

Malcolm

Sent from my iPad
If reply needed, please address to malcolm [at] m-eva.co.uk