CH and Commercial Use
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 06:15:12 -0800 (PST)
A question has arisen about community liability when a member holds classes in
the CH for the public and charges or doesn't charge. Who is liable for damages
or injuries? Does normal liability insurance cover this?

We have two people now holding classes in the CH -- a therapeutic movement
class and a yoga class. They are advertised in a limited way amongst students
and acquaintances of teacher, both of whom are residents. Some community
members attend the classes, but they are predominantly non-members.

In past years we have had:

1. Cooking, Spanish Conversation, and NVC classes for members for which we
hired the teachers.

2. House concerts by musicians who are friends of members. Donations of $10-15
collected from members and their friends. No public announcement but public
welcome to attend.

3, Auctions by schools to raise money. Some of these were packed with people
and raised tens of thousands of dollars.

What does your community do? How does it affect your insurance? Who is liable
for damage or injury?

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines