Re: CH and Commercial Use
From: David L. Mandel (
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 16:22:03 -0800 (PST)
Your HOA's liability insurance policy should cover normal use. There may be 
some differences in policies and different interpretations of "normal," so I'd 
check with your insurance carrier or agent. I can imagine some larger, 
commercial-looking events might require extra riders, depending on the company. 

 From: Sharon Villines <sharon [at]>
To: Cohousing-L Cohousing-L <cohousing-l [at]> 
Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 6:15 AM
Subject: [C-L]_ CH and Commercial Use

A question has arisen about community liability when a member holds classes in 
the CH for the public and charges or doesn't charge. Who is liable for damages 
or injuries? Does normal liability insurance cover this?

We have two people now holding classes in the CH -- a therapeutic movement 
class and a yoga class. They are advertised in a limited way amongst students 
and acquaintances of teacher, both of whom are residents. Some community 
members attend the classes, but they are predominantly non-members.

In past years we have had:

1. Cooking, Spanish Conversation, and NVC classes for members for which we 
hired the teachers.

2. House concerts by musicians who are friends of members. Donations of $10-15 
collected from members and their friends. No public announcement but public 
welcome to attend.

3, Auctions by schools to raise money. Some of these were packed with people 
and raised tens of thousands of dollars.

What does your community do? How does it affect your insurance? Who is liable 
for damage or injury? 

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC

Cohousing-L mailing list -- Unsubscribe, archives and other info at:
  • CH and Commercial Use Sharon Villines, February 25 2014
    • Re: CH and Commercial Use David L. Mandel, February 25 2014

Results generated by Tiger Technologies Web hosting using MHonArc.