Re: "Good of the Community" [was email etiquette
From: Don Benson (benson6451aol.com)
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 10:58:29 -0800 (PST)
Sharon

Thanks for helping me come to realize, again, the challenge of using email to
effectively communicate about complex topics.  In my experience, we best learn
to understand and operationalize these distinctions (wants and needs) (I and
we) as we work with them over time.

For me the most important part of your message is the difference between “the
Community” and “the Majority” when determining the “we”.

The “I/we” distinction can be discovered across any boundary including roles,
responsibilities, values, etc.
1.  one part of myself-one role/the whole of my self in my life,  (e.g., my
role as a parent and my desire to provide my child with the best education/the
reality that I am already working 2 jobs just to keep food on the table, and
don’t have the time to be with her or ability to pay for tuition to a better
school)
2.  my individual want for a specific outcome as part of a community or
team/the whole team dynamic and how they operate
3.  one subset of my values and the values of the whole group.  For example,
how are the values a conscious part of our daily interpersonal processes, do we
define them the same way, are we aware of when we are not behaving consistent
with them, and do we care?

These three examples illustrate how boundaries between a particular “I” and
various levels of “we” in a way that shows that it is a relational dynamic and
sense of identity that is built over time, and not principally a decision
dynamic (voting/majority/minority) that is exercised in the moment.

Regarding wants and needs, I find the distinction is seldom made in casual
conversation and is powerful.  From my dictionary, (italics are mine) the
distinction is clear:
1.  Want - have a desire (emotional?) to possess or do (something); wish for: I
want an apple
2.  Need - require (rational?) because it is essential or very important: I
need help now

Don Benson
Trillium Hollow, Portland OR
www.trilliumhollow.org