Re: Experiences in handling difficult issues
From: Patricia Lautner (lautnerpjpcohousing.org)
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 18:08:52 -0800 (PST)
Hi,

The 80% - 20% example above is a pretty large split.  In other words, if a
full 20% (6 households in a community of 30) are against a decision, you
are far from being in agreement.

The most important thing that a community needs to remember is that members
need to prioritize the needs of the community OVER the individual with
EVERY community decision.  Even mature groups forget this.  And as we grow
to know and love our neighbors, we may allow the priority to flip out of
concern for others.  The role of the facilitator here is KEY.  A well
trained facilitator at the front of the room will help your group to get
through hard decisions.  A weak facilitator (one that merely calls on
people but isn't skilled in group process) could have the opposite effect.
I can't stress enough how important it is to train your facilitators.
Every cohousing budget should have money in there for facilitator training.

A note about your community's *Commonly Held Values*.  Many communities
have a vision statement and/or a list of common values that all members
agree to.  Common Values might include: aging in place, safe environment
for children, live sustainably on the earth, etc.  If there is a vocal
minority blocking the will of the obvious majority (an obvious majority in
a typical cohousing meeting would probably be closer to 90% of the
participants) then the group should ask the dissenters, "What commonly held
value are you trying to protect by going against the majority?"  If the
dissenter isn't able to point to a clearly defined common value then maybe
they are asserting their individual will on the community inappropriately.
I've seen trained facilitators help a group get through tough decisions by
opening the meeting with a review of the common values.

Best,
Patti Lautner
JP Cohousing - Boston MA
www.communitasdevelopments.com