Re: associate membership policies
From: drmaryann49 (drmaryann49mac.com)
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2014 12:11:19 -0800 (PST)
Here at Manzanita Village which is organized as an HOA with 36 individual lots
we have three categories of members: lot owners, renters and associate members
we call “Area Villagers.”

All members have the same rights and responsibilities for decision making,
participation in the activities of the community, use of facilities, etc except
for four specific decisions that are limited to home owners. These are revising
the CC&R and Bylaws, electing the HOA board (a state-required group that
“rubber stamps” the decisions of our community as a whole in plenary sessions),
levying special assessments, and raising the monthly dues.

Lot owners are responsible for the dues on their properties thus covering any
renters. Area Villagers are assessed dues at 1/2 the rate of home owners. Dues
on rental properties are the responsibility of the landlord who can certainly
price the rent accordingly.

Our Area Villagers are households who for some reason were unable to buy
property in the community but wanted to be a part of this great experiment.
Several years ago we closed that category of members so we are not accepting
any new area villagers (at least until there’s a reason to re-consider the
decision.) When we were accepting new Area Villagers they applied and were
accepted in a Plenary session.

Former members, sometimes called informally known as “alumni,” often return for
meals, work parties and other social events.

We don’t require any additional insurance paperwork for non-residents,
including friends, alumni, Area Villagers or other guests, visiting our
property to attend social events, work parties, etc. as our insurance company
has assured us that our policy is sufficient.

Mary Ann
Manzanita Village where we’re getting the first rain in over two months.
There’s a reason they call this a high desert.