Call for Articles: Communities #164: Community Conversations
From: Communities Editor (communities.editorgmail.com)
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2014 18:25:49 -0800 (PST)
Hello,

/Communities/magazine is now seeking articles for issue #164, *"Community Conversations."*The issue will be out in September 2014.

Please send your article idea to editor [at] ic.org <mailto:editor [at] ic.org> by *Monday, March 24, 2014*.

Your final article must reach us by *Friday, May 23, 2014*.

1. Theme articles: *Community Conversations
*/Tamarack Institute is collaborating with FIC to produce this special issue based on conversations that you, our readers and contributors, as well as participants in Tamarack's network, host within your communities, neighborhoods, and circles of friends and associates. Among the benefits of hosting a conversation are the opportunity to share your experiences. As an added bonus for hosting a conversation and posting a blog about it at www.deepeningcommunity.org <http://www.deepeningcommunity.org> we will provide you a free copy of Paul Born's book /Deepening Community -- Finding Joy Together in Chaotic Times/. /

/For more information about hosting a conversation go to www.deepeningcommunty.org <http://www.deepeningcommunty.org> and to receive your free book after you have posted your blog contact Rachel [at] tamarackcommunity.ca <mailto:Rachel [at] tamarackcommunity.ca> . /

/Here are some questions we encourage you to discuss in small groups:/

 *

   What has been a memorable experience of community in your life?

 *

   What does community mean to you?

 *

   Why is community important to you now?

 *

   Where do you most experience community today?

 *

   If you've ever had a negative experience of community, please
   describe it.

/We would especially like to hear from those of you having these conversations as part of a larger community. Consider discussing these questions:/

 * What do we do to make our community strong?
 * How do we care for one another?
 * What do we do to have fun together?
 * What role does working for a better world play in binding us together?
 * Have we ever organized against others? When is this the right thing
   to do and when is it the wrong thing to do?
 * What do we do when we are afraid together?

/Here are some questions for you to consider together after you have shared your stories with one another?/

 *

   What would deepening your experience of community look like?

 *

   What are the benefits of community?

 *

   What are the challenges of community?

 *

   What is the job of community?

 *

   In your conversations about community, what themes emerge? What new
   ideas, perspectives, and feelings resonate within your group?

 *

   What actions emerge from your talking about community?

Feel free to create your own questions as well---this is a participatory process---and to write from your own experience. As always, please remember that we are looking for stories, personal experiences, and concrete examples in responses---these are what will make ideas and observations most "real" and relevant to readers.

[Please forward this email to anyone you think could host such a conversation and/or has a good story on this theme for /Communities/.]

2. We are also seeking articles about:

 *

   Creating community in your neighborhood;

 *

   Starting a new community;

 *

   Process and communication issues in community; and

 *

   Seeking community to join.

Suggested submission length is from 300 to 2500 words. We invite submissions ranging from short vignettes to extensively-developed articles, and also invite suggestions of recommended resources and article leads. We're seeking articles written in a reader-friendly, popular-magazine style, rather than in an academic style. We ask contributors to share stories and experiences, not just ideas; write about challenges, not just successes; and describe specific situations that will help your story come alive for the reader. Before you start writing, please checkic.org/submissions-to-communities-magazine or contact us for our full Writers' Guidelines--and let us know your article idea so that we can give feedback on how it may fit into /Communities/.Contact Chris Roth at editor [at] ic.org <mailto:editor [at] ic.org>.

If you don't want to write an article but want to submit photos, please check ic.org/submissions-to-communities-magazine or contact Yulia Zarubina at layout [at] ic.org <mailto:layout [at] ic.org> for our Photo Guidelines.

*I. What "Submitting an Article"**Means.*We will promise to read your article, but we may respectfully decline it and not publish it, or save it and publish it in a future issue. We also reserve the right to edit, shorten, or revise your article. Most of the time we contact authors about this ahead of time and get their comments, corrections, etc.

*II. Getting Permission Ahead of Time.*Please send the article only when you have permission from anyone you need it from, such as fellow community members. We endeavor to present a diversity of views on community, including controversial or critical views, in a respectful and cooperative manner. If your article may generate controversy or strong reactions, or if the group(s) would want the chance to review it, please share your draft with group members to get their input before sending it to us. (Please see our Writers' Guidelines for additional details.)

*III. Publication Rights.*Once your article appears in /Communities/, we own first North American Publishing Rights. This means your article appears in /Communities/the first time it appears in North America. In addition to appearing in /Communities/, your article may also appear on our website or in future compilations. You retain all other rights to it. If you'd like to use it elsewhere, you can, and we would appreciate your using an attribution line saying, "This article first appeared in /Communities: Life in Cooperative Culture/, (date); for further information on /Communities/: ic.org/communities-magazine-home."

*IV. Photos.*If we publish your article, we want to accompany it with compelling images that illustrate your subject. You know your subject best, so we are appealing to you for images. If others in your community or group like taking pictures, they might already have great images to go with your article. If you would like to submit an article but cannot supply photos, that's fine; however, please give us plenty of advance notice so that if we use your article we can get an illustrator. Please check ic.org/submissions to-communities-magazine or email us for our full Photo Guidelines. We also appreciate an author photo to accompany your short (several-line) author bio.

Thanks for your contributions!

Chris Roth
Editor, /Communities/
editor [at] ic.org