Re: associate membership policies
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 07:34:20 -0800 (PST)
We've not yet had much experience with this yet, but we divide things up
according to decision mode, not decision substance.  First we go through the
steps of classical consensus / consent, hoping to invent something within
everyone's tolerance range (which, for shorthand, we refer to as "unanimity",
although some purists think this is an abuse of terminology).  Any and all
community members are welcome to be part of the consent / consensus process.
But ...

If, after strenuous good faith effort has failed to produce unanimity, the
proposers can choose to go to super-majority vote = 75% or better yeas out of
minimum quorum of 17.  But and however ...
  •  Voting is not by member but by unit; each of the 32 units has a single,
equal vote.  In this mode ...
  •  Only the owner(s) has(have) a voice; if tenants were members, they would
not be voting.  And ...
  •  The owner must be in the room.  No absentee ballots, no mail-ins, no
proxies.  We currently have absentee owners living thousands of miles away, and
thus far, they seem satisfied to let those on site make all the decisions.  We
understand we must recognize power of attorney if presented, but so far, this
isn't happening.

Philip Dowds